Monday, May 6, 2013

Stairway Art Gallery Wall Project

I have been living in my home for almost 14 years, and even though I'm a decorator -- true confession time -- my staircase wall has been empty!  Why?  Because I just didn't know what I wanted to put there, until NOW!  Recently I was at a fancy schmancy home decor shop in my neighborhood and saw some little white framed abstract art watercolors, and they were selling for about $700 each!!!  What?  I thought they were beautiful and loved how they looked, but I knew my daughter and I could create the same look ourselves and have some fun doing it!  Here's the before picture of my staircase -- plain, right?

 
 
 
The first thing we did was go to Ikea and purchase some $9.99 RIBBA frames similar to the ones I saw in the fancy schmancy store.  Then we went to our local art supply store and bought some fresh tube watercolors for about $39.00 and a pad of watercolor paper for $12.00.  I already have tons of paint brushes and palettes from when I was a textile designer so I didn't need those.  During a Saturday afternoon we freely painted our abstract shapes, then let them dry and flattened them between some heavy books.  Then on Sunday we selected and cut out our favorite pieces and framed them.  Next, we hung them, and voila -- decorated art gallery style staircase, for a lot less than $3,500, which is what it would have cost if I bought 5 in the fancy schmancy store.  Plus, we had the "fun factor"!!! 
 
Here's our "During" picture!
 



Here's each of our completed framed pieces!





 
 
 
 
 
 
And here's the Finally Decorated Staircase Wall!  Voila!
 
 
 
You can do the same, it's so easy, inexpensive and fun!  Personally, I like the look of having a series of uniformly framed pictures instead of a mishmosh of random different things.  But that's just me.
 
Hope you liked our Stairway Art Gallery Wall Project!  Feel free to leave a comment below, share this post with your friends or contact me via the contact tab above if you need design assistance.  Have a colorful day! Nanette
 

No comments:

Post a Comment